Friday 24 February 2012

Teotihuacan

Visited this vast site some 35 kilometres from the city via the plaza of 3 cultures, showing aztec,

colonial, Franciscan monastery

and modern architecture. It was also the site of student rioters being killed in 1968.
On the way out of the city we were passed by this van, street food  I think it's called!
In the car park of the site we clubbed together to see the men do the following one of them playing a pipe!

 They spin round 13 times which is to do with the Aztex calendar and as their are 4 of them it makes 52 which is not their weeks but the number of years in a century but I suspect something has got lost in translation.


Teotihuacan is an extraordinary area and it is difficult to understand how the whole place was originally conceived. There are 13 temples in all and I did climb the hightest one but the following few pictures hardly do it justice
I climbed this one which is the biggest and the pictures show me at the bottom and the top

The picture above shows just how steep some of it was, my toes just showing at the bottom looking down a flight of stairs.

Leaving the site for a late lunch we then headed for the shrine of St Mary at Guadaloupe which is apparently the most revered place in catholic Mexico as it houses a piece of cloth with a depiction of the virgin herself given to the Bishop in the area at the time so that he would build her a church. Personally it looks like a painting to me but...... 

 What was more interesting was that the buildings are sinking in different directions and walking round the old church is somewhat disorientating.
A new modern church very similar in layout to Liverpool Catholic Cathedral holds the piece of cloth and was built when the current Pope came to beatify the chap who collected flowers (on my birthday) as a sign to the Bishop that his visions were real.
So I know where to come to celebrate my birthday with a real fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment