Sunday 6 February 2011

Make my day!



Well here I am in sunny but cool LA. Flew over a very snowy north America until about Las vegas which is very visible from the air and very small, nothing much around this very bright strip of different coloured lights!
After the usual slog through immigration I was met by the taxi firm with very snazzy limo. Allegedly I have sat on the same seat as Angelina and Sandra Bullock, certainly the closest I shall get to any one famous. The hotel is tucked away on a sidestreet between Sunset Boulevard and Santa Monica with the Viper Club once owned by Johnny Depp at the corner of the street. Fortunately there is a good bus service along Sunset which I used to visit the Kodak Theatre (Oscars) and walk of stars, next door is Graumann's Chinese Theatre and all the hand prints, Clint's seemed as good as any to photo!
Having done the tourist bit went on my quest for jeans, another bus, which are good value at fixed 1.50$,however long you are on it, to The farmers Market area, 2 pair later and a nice chat with shop assistant from Zurich, I wandered through the market and found a greek restaurant called Ulysses Voyage where I was served by Michael (long story!) Andricopoulos-Angels from Athens originally, you can tell we had a long chat. As ever I had been to many more places and islands in Greece than him. The mezes were great, the retsina better especially the complimentary glass(!) and the greek coffee as it should be, the fact that he was also handsome shouldn't go unmentioned either so I recommend a trip there!!
view from gallery roof
Decided should walk to Wiltshire (well not the county just the Boulevard!) where a number of their museums are situated and had a look at their Modern art one (not cheap at 15$) had some good pieces but also local stuff not so good in my opinion. Yet another bus ride home as everywhere so spread out to accommodate all their cars. 
Friday I ventured by bus and subway to Universal Studios to 'do' the film industry, still not totally sure it was  worth it, the studio tour is a mixture of driving through mock ups of different areas and saw Wisteria Drive for Desperate Housewives fans, not being one didn't find it that exciting! Watched a presentation on special effects and had a look at their archives on show, all 2 rooms of them, so how anyone could spend all day there I don't understand. Back on the train to Downtown where there are skyscapers as most of the buildings are low rise. All the banks plus KPMG but also came across the Angel flight tramway  and the Walt Disney Concert Hall building shining in the late afternoon sun.





Somewhat surprised to find that my local bus ended it's journey down there so got on it and went all the way along Sunset Boulevard back to the hotel. Passed Chinatown and some less saloubrious areas, then slightly more upmarket a very large scientology 'church' next to a spiritual healing centre and some other alternative religions, a bit like getting all estate agents in one street at home! As the journey took about an hour it was a good 1.5$ worth!


Today I have been to the Getty Museum which is on the outskirts of town north of Beverley Hills. Everyone should go there it has amazing buildings, gardens and then filled with lovely paintings, furniture and statues alongside a technical research centre where they do restorations etc. not to mention free!

Had to leave at 2.30pm but could easily have spent all day there, the driver that picked me up treated me to a tour of Beverley Hills and Rodeo Drive, (somewhat harder by bus!) so I feel I've done LA now. I'm hoping that the magic bus service will get me to the beach tomorrow which apart from being Superbowl Sunday is forecast to be the hottest day before it gets cooler and wetter toward next weekend. My flight goes late evening so next posting from Fiji.

1 comment:

  1. Great reading about your travels. Glad you are enjoying yourself. Looking forward to the next instalment.

    Pam & Graham

    ReplyDelete